Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Make Your Own Yogurt

 

 
 
If your house is like mine we go through a lot of  yogurt. It's a favorite for breakfast, snacks, or in smoothies. Yogurt is extremely healthy, and versatile. It can be used to replace buttermilk or sour cream in recipes, has a long shelf life, and is just generally full of creamy goodness. The cost does add up quickly if you have a family who likes it. One six ounce carton of store brand yogurt is roughly $.38 each, a thirty two ounce container of Greek yogurt is around $3.99. If you make your own it will cost you about $.87 for thirty two ounces. That's a $3.12 savings!

If it seems daunting to make your own, I can assure you it is one of the easiest things I have done in the kitchen. It takes a little time, but it is well worth it for the savings aspect. I have tried several methods, but always go back to The Frugal Girl's method. It is easy and fairly fool proof. You can find an excellent  step by step tutorial HERE. She explains it much better than I can. I usually make my yogurt with 2% milk so I add in 1/2 powdered milk to my recipe, so that it is fairly firm. My kids don't like runny yogurt. Also, if you will be using your homemade yogurt in place of sour cream. Pour some of the plain yogurt mixture into glass jars before you add the sugar and vanilla. Make sure to label that jar! Your family might freak out if your sour cream enchilada recipe suddenly starts having a sweet vanilla flavor.

I have also made this recipe using reconstituted powdered milk in place of fresh milk. It works well. Just reconstitute the powdered milk with warm water following the ratios on the box of milk powder. Heat the reconstituted milk to 185 degrees and continue following the recipe for fresh milk.

This yogurt is delicious added to fresh fruit and granola. My kids like it with mixed with a big scoop of strawberry or raspberry freezer jam (not as healthy, but very tasty!). I like it blended with frozen berries, avocado, and spinach in smoothies.

Now it's your turn! Give yogurt making a try and report back in the comments section below. How do you like your yogurt? 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...